Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Sites that limit entries by IP and the use of multiple identities

Sites that limit entries by IP address

I've mentioned this on a site I set up for friends and family, but it is something worth mentioning here as well.

It would seem that sites that limit entries by IP address would exclude those who use public computers. There are other ways of determining cheating or someone using an entering service. Besides, it's way to easy to work around at home. Just turn off your modem and turn it back on or in the case of dial-up, disconnect then reconnect, and viola, a new IP. Not very effective.

A little twist in IP tracking. Bravenet services are tracked by IP. At one time I entered about half a dozen different daily sweeps that used Bravenet and would receive a warning that I might be banned, it was seeing my entries as possible spam.

Another example, when I visit my Dad, I use his computer to enter some of my sweeps. Had he entered the same sweep limited to one entry per IP, it would have been a duplicate IP, even though it's two different households.

Using multiple identities

Using multiple identities is cheating, plain and simple. However, my roommate also enters a few sweeps, some, the same as me, as long as it's not a one per household. How is it determined that we are two different people? Are we disqualified because the entries originate from the same IP? That would lead to the same problem as above. Do they use cookies? Again, not very effective. Many people, like me, have their browser set to delete cookies when the browser is closed. If you have more than one person using the same computer and only have one user set up or you are using a public computer this wouldn't be the answer.

If someone has a mind to cheat, they will find a way to cheat.

No comments:

Post a Comment